Date:      Fri, 30 Jul 1999 07:19:17 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@iaces.com>
To:        patseal@hyperhost.net (Patrick Seal)
Cc:        grog@lemis.com, notme@lvdi.net, db@year2000.dk, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD = unix/linux ?

In a previous message, Patrick Seal said:
> I copied that directly from a diagram from "The Design and Implementation of
> the 4.4BSD Operation System". Well, except for the lowercase part. I guess
> the book's wrong too. Unless BSD/OS used to be called BSDI??
>
> Here's a uname -a on a BSD/OS machine:
> BSD/OS hyperhost.net 3.0 BSDI BSD/OS 3.0 Virtual Kernel #0: Fri Aug 15 03:41:58 PST 1997
> jradford@gargamel.lightrealm.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/VIRTUAL  i386
>
> Not my machine, but I have an account.
>
> On Fri, Jul 30, 1999 at 12:15:12PM +0930i, Greg Lehey wrote:

As I recall, I had version 1.0 from BSDI, it was called BSD/386. That was
based on 4.3 Tahoe (Reno?). With the settlement of the suite, everyone
switched to a base of 4.4BSD lite, which was unencumbered.

Also, BSD stands for Berkeley Software Distributions, as defined by USB. When
BSDI started, the made it Berkeley Software Design, Inc.

> > And while we're on the subject, it's BSD/OS, made by BSDI.  I wish I
> > knew where this habit of spelling it with a lower case i (BSDi) came
> > from, but it's wrong.
> >
> > Greg
> > --
> > When replying to this message, please copy the original recipients.
> > For more information, see http://www.lemis.com/questions.html
> > See complete headers for address, home page and phone numbers
> > finger grog@lemis.com for PGP public key
> >

> --

    In a Wonderland they lie,           Ever drifting down the stream--
    Dreaming as the days go by,         Lingering in the gold gleam--
    Dreaming as the summers die:        Life, what is it but a dream?