Date:      Tue, 28 May 1996 00:40:18 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
To:        "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@ki.net>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: snmp for FreeBSD...

On Mon, 27 May 1996, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> 	The package includes an snmp agent (snmpd) that runs and allows
> you to pass queries to it, and is supposedly highly extensible (ie. we
> could *probably* setup conf's to do sysctl commands via snmp?)

Cool.  We need a FreeBSD MIB now :)

> 	What would it take to get the agent and the support programs
> included in FreeBSD 2.2, working towards snmp manageablililty?  I'm
> willing to work at maintaining it and keeping it up to date, but I
> think something like this should be "integrated into" the Operating
> System, not an extra...

I see great need for this.  I'm using the CMU SNMP tools to querry our
routers for accounting data and other things, but it would be nice
for these things to come with the OS.

Where is the location of this package?

Have a good one.

| Matthew N. Dodd   | winter@jurai.net    | http://www.jurai.net/~winter    |
| Technical Manager | mdodd@intersurf.net | http://www.intersurf.net        |
| InterSurf Online  | "Welcome to the net Sir, would you like a handbasket?"|