Date:      Wed, 21 Feb 2001 20:43:44 +0000
From:      Ian Morriati <ian@bosh.org>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   3com Homeconnect USB Camera

hi,

i'm running 4.1-RELEASE on my main workstation here, and would like to
use the 3com Homeconnect USB camera. i think it's detected on bootup;
here's the usb section:

uhci0: <Intel 82371AB/EB (PIIX4) USB controller> port 0xc000-0xc01f irq 19 at device 7.2 on pci0
usb0: <Intel 82371AB/EB (PIIX4) USB controller> on uhci0
usb0: USB revision 1.0
uhub0: Intel UHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1
uhub0: port 1 power on failed, IOERROR
uhub0: port 2 power on failed, IOERROR
ugen0: 3Com 3Com HomeConnect USB Camera , rev 1.00/1.06, addr 2
ums0: Logitech Inc. iFeel Mouse   , rev 1.00/1.01, addr 3, iclass 3/1
ums0: 3 buttons and Z dir.

so, i guess my question is something along the lines of this:

	1. is it working and configured? or is it just reading the
	label? my usb mouse is working fine, which is why i suspect
	it works. but i don't know. so here i ask you; how can i tell,
	and do you think it does?

	2. given that it is working, what could i use in the way of
	software for it? i used it under win2k, but the software i
	got with it was not only lame, but shareware as well. when i
	saw the picture of the guy that wrote it after my 30 minute
	trial was over, i nearly laughed my lungs out. he was ugly
	in the extreme, and it was apparent he would get no money
	from me to buy some new teeth. that said, the bundled
	software (webcam32) would take a picture every so often, and
	upload it to an ftp site. running under bsd, i'm happy to
	just grab the file with a shell command or something. using
	the bundled "vidcap" would enable you to capture live video.
	i dare say you could stream with some third party software.
	so, my question is: "what are the warez that will satisfy my
	graphical hunger"?

	3. coffecup make a totally rubbish webcam program called
	something like coffeecam. it's particularly bad, because it uses
	the windows clipboard to save the image. meaning, when i'd cut
	and paste into word i'd get a picture of me. however, it did
	have this "security mode" that would mail you the picture if it
	changed, ie, it worked like a kind of burglar alarm. has someone
	made one of these? i quite like the idea; i don't like people
	loitering around my desk.

so thank you, for your potential wisdom. i've been waiting to ditch
windows at work for ages, running a fat x desktop instead of a load of
putty's. but without my cam, how are the foxy goth chicks going to stalk
me? i'd be so upset if i had to change cameras (because, running under
windows in the dark, the quality is elite).

i thank you again, because that previous paragraph was meant to be a
sentence.

ian
--
[darq#]-[ian@bosh.org]                  gosh gosh gosh.