Date:      Wed, 09 Dec 1998 18:53:23 -0500
From:      Jim Yuill <jjyuill@eos.ncsu.edu>
To:        FREEBSD-SECURITY@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   append-only devices for logging

I've been looking for an append-only device for logging, which a remote
hacker (with root access) can not erase or alter.  Other than a
line-printer, are there any such devices that actually work with Unix?

>From what I understand, a write-once CD has restricted writing capability
that would make it unsuitable for logging.

According to CERT, these things exist:

>Log selected data to a write-once/read-many device (e.g., a
>CD-ROM or a specially configured tape drive) to eliminate the
>possibility of the data being modified once it is written, or
>to a write-only device (e.g., a printer).
>
>http://www.cert.org/security-improvement/practices/p041.html

but I've spent the afternoon looking, and havent' found anything.

Thanks in advance for any pointers,
Jim