Date:      Mon, 24 Nov 2014 12:53:42 -0800
From:      Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>
To:        Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz>
Cc:        "freebsd-gnome@FreeBSD.org" <freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD Ports ML <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: GNOME3 and nvidia-driver

On Mon, Nov 24, 2014 at 12:10 PM, Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The latest GNOME3 update doesn't appear to live well with
> nvidia-driver. I'm attempting to build gnome3, but it's failing during
> the configure of graphics/cogl (required by graphics/cogl, required by
> graphics/clutter, required by accessibility/caribou):

> checking for GLIB - version >= 2.32.0... yes (version 2.42.0)
> checking EGL/egl.h usability... no
> checking EGL/egl.h presence... no
> checking for EGL/egl.h... no
> configure: error: Unable to locate required EGL headers
> ===>  Script "configure" failed unexpectedly.
>
> Hmm. Okay, a quick search reveals graphics/libEGL has the headers.
> # cd /usr/ports/graphics/libEGL && make install clean
> ===>  Checking if libEGL already installed
> ===>   Registering installation for libEGL-10.3.3
> pkg-static: libEGL-10.3.3 conflicts with nvidia-driver-340.46
> (installs files into the same place).  Problematic file:
> /usr/local/lib/libEGL.so
> *** Error code 70
>
> Stop.
> make: stopped in /usr/ports/graphics/libEGL
>
> What should I do?
>
> Cheers
> --
> Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz>

Switch to Mate? ;-)

I'll be doing this shortly, so it's not entirely facetious. After some time
with Gnome3 on Linux, I switched to Mate and have been very happy with it.
(Mate is a fork of Gnome2.) Cinnamon is another option. It is GTK3 based,
but retains the customisability of Gnome2. I have only very limited
experience with it.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer, Retired
E-mail: rkoberman@gmail.com