Date:      Sat, 05 Mar 2005 15:44:15 -0700
From:      Scott Long <scottl@samsco.org>
To:        Peter Jeremy <PeterJeremy@optushome.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD for Macs?

Peter Jeremy wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-Mar-05 09:24:42 -0900, Sam Cole wrote:
>
>>I'm sort of a novice about different types of processors and operating
>>systems other than Windows.  Is there a version of FreeBSD that will
>>run on Apple's g4/g5 processors?
>

> There is some work being done in -current (which will be released as
> FreeBSD 6.x, probably next year) but I'm not sure what state it is in.
>
> At this stage, the closest you'll get to FreeBSD on a g4 is Mac OS-X.

FreeBSD/ppc is actually making good progress.  There are instructions
for installing a custom build at:

http://people.freebsd.org/~grehan/miniinst.txt
http://people.freebsd.org/~grehan/miniinst.iso

It's not for the faint of heart, and it probably isn't as stable as the
other platforms, but it's a good start.

Scott