Date:      Tue, 1 Jan 2002 08:31:36 +0200 (SAT)
From:      John Hay <jhay@icomtek.csir.co.za>
To:        cjclark@alum.mit.edu
Cc:        randy@psg.com (Randy Bush), freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: openssh version

> On Mon, Dec 31, 2001 at 01:12:50PM -0800, Randy Bush wrote:
> > i did a cvsup of -stable (4.5-prerelease) yesterday.  it seems to have
> > OpenSSH_2.9 as opposed to 3.0.x.  for a number of reasons, this is a bit
> > unsettling.
>
> What would those reasons be?

I can think of two:

If you check the version number that ours report and then go to the OpenSSH
security page, http://www.openssh.org/security.html, it makes you wonder. I
know at least some of those things were fixed in our tree, but it is
confusing.

There were bug fixes made in the meantime. I have run into one of them, if
you use bitkeeper over ssh it would hang on exit under certain conditions.
The hang would be forever or until you did a "^C". Except it is a little
difficult to press "^C" in a cron script. This was tracked to a problem
fixed in OpenSSH 2.9.9. They now ship with this in their relnotes:

OpenSSH version 2.9 has a bug which can cause lost EOF errors when used as
a BitKeeper transport, especially over slow links.  We've confirmed that
the problem has been fixed as of version 2.9.9; get an update at
http://www.openssh.com/portable.html

My solution is to use the ports version. Maybe we should remove the in-tree
version and just get sysinstall to install the ports version by default? Or
otherwise maybe get the guy that maintain the ports version to also do the
in-tree version? He seems quite quick in updating the ports version.

John
--
John Hay -- John.Hay@icomtek.csir.co.za