Date:      Sat, 28 Jun 2003 10:25:03 +0400 (MSD)
From:      Oleg Sharoiko <os@rsu.ru>
To:        Bosko Milekic <bmilekic@technokratis.com>
Cc:        "Michael A. Bushkov" <bushman@rsu.ru>
Subject:   Re: dynamically linked root and nscd

On Fri, 27 Jun 2003, Bosko Milekic wrote:

BM>  So, to the guys from RSU: why is a dynamically-linked-root important
BM>  for the daemon dispatcher/cache engine idea?

We (guys from RSU) have to have a clear understanding of the road FreeBSD's
NSS will be developed. Linux/Solaris seem to implement 'in process' model of
NSS. MacOS X seem to have 'IPC' model (correct me if I'm wrong).

'In process' model has the benefit of being (semi-)compatible with existing
NSS modules (at least it can be implemented this way). This means that
third-party open source modules can be used in FreeBSD (ex. padl's nss_ldap).
But 'in process' model doesn't support static binaries.

'IPC' model will work fine with static binaries, but it's very different from
'in process' model. With 'ICP' model FreeBSD will need it's own set of NSS
modules.

If I understood correctly there is some interest in combination of both of
these model, correct? Do we really need both of this models? With dynamicly
linked root we have a working 'in process' NSS and only 'clean caching' daemon
is required. We are ready to work hard on a project that is really needed but
we can not waste our time on code that will be discarded (as it happened with
our IPC implementation of NSS).

Our final question is: should we develop a 'caching only' daemon or a daemon
which will also dispatch requests to NSS agents?

I hope my English is understandable. If not - please let me know and I'll try
to re-express my thoughts.

--
Oleg Sharoiko.
Software and Network Engineer