Date:      Wed, 23 May 2001 14:04:57 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        "Guillaume" <amyfoub@videotron.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sio & modem problem

> From: "Guillaume" <amyfoub@videotron.ca>
> Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 22:22:38 -0400
> Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> Hi,
>
> I want to configure my Motorola VoiceSURFR 56k Modem (Internal ISA) in my
> FreeBSD 4.3-STABLE box but I have a problem with sio.
>
> On bootup I get:
>
> sio0 at port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 on isa0
> sio0: type 16550A
> sio1 at port 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3 on isa0
> sio1: type 16550A
> sio2: configured irq 5 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
> sio3: configured irq 9 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
> sio4: configured irq 9 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
> sio4: <Motorola VoiceSURFR 56K Modem> at port 0x3e8-0x3ef irq 9 on isa0
> sio4: type 16550A
>
> --------------
>
> In my kernel config:
>
> device sio0 at isa? port IO_COM1 irq 4
> device sio1 at isa? port IO_COM2 irq 3
> device sio2 at isa? port IO_COM3 irq 5
> device sio3 at isa? port IO_COM4 irq 9
>
> --------------
>
> 1) What does "configured irq 5 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0" mean?

I think it means that BIOS is not configured for a com port on IRQ 5.

> 2) Do I need to enable sio2 and sio3 in my kernel config?

Don't see why. But you probably need to go into BIOS and set up the
modem there. I know how to do this on my system, but it's different
for every one. Hopefully yours is easier to set up than mine was! I
had to put the BIOS configuration utility onto a DOS disk and boot it
to do the job. (IBM system.)

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)