Date:      Wed, 05 Jul 2000 20:00:10 -0700
From:      "Eric C. S. Dynamic" <ecsd@transpacific.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        webmaster@bafug.org
Subject:   Sneaker Net & Hot Sauce

I remember the good old days of 600+KB/sec access to ftp.freebsd.org ...

not so long ago *sigh*.

I am reminded of the TV ad - NEW YORK CITY!! Those yankees don't know
what hot sauce is.

ftp.freesoftware.blah is delivering 15KB/sec - Ow Ow Ow.  90ms ping
times.
I'm glad I'm not trying to download the X distribution along with
everything else.

Maybe, if this will be persistent, "ftp.freebsd.org" = primary site
should be moved to
something closer, like Madagascar or Krgyzstan.

Here's hoping the problem is transient, and that what's happening now is
due to
an outage of some kind that can get fixed.

I volunteer to host yet another local server, albeit with limited
numbers of
simultaneous connections because we can't afford to pay above.net for
the
kind of bandwidth the thing would be using. My reason for staying away
from
alternates - ftp4 being my favorite alternate - is that they aren't
genuine mirrors,
as I recall. The install, yes, but but ports/packages etc. are missing
from the others.
If we did host a fallback server I'd like to get EveryThing, for our own
use and
for the use of the local hardcore folks when they really need it in a
hurry.

I had heard that freebsd was moved to run out of Yahoo - what happened?
Yahoo sure ain't in NEW YORK CITY.

-zzz-