Date:      Sun, 17 Feb 2002 21:28:52 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
Cc:        Gaspar Chilingarov <nm@web.am>, <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: fork rate limit

On Sun, 17 Feb 2002, Peter Wemm wrote:

> No.  Root's overrides come *after* automagic settings, regardless of how
> well intentioned the settings are.
>
> If you are going to do this, it should be something along the lines of:
> 	maxproc = NPROC;
> 	if (maxproc > automaxproc)
> 		maxproc = automaxproc;
> 	TUNABLE_INT_FETCH("kern.maxproc", &maxproc);
> Even this isn't quite right, because NPROC may be a compile option
> which must be respected.  The default #define NPROC may need adjusting.
>
> Cheers,
> -Peter

I already talked this over with Matt, and I'm going to leave this part of
the patch out (for now, at least.)  Once I sat down with a calculator I
realized that as long as MAXUSERS <= MB of ram, this condition was already
met.  The rest (slightly tweaked) will probably go in soon, though.

Mike "Silby" Silbersack