Date:      Wed, 11 Dec 2002 10:15:44 -0800
From:      "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        "Dan Langille" <dan@langille.org>
Cc:        bmah@FreeBSD.ORG, doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: duplicate pages

--==_Exmh_1528697592P

If memory serves me right, "Dan Langille" wrote:

> > The Web site rebuild doesn't remove old files, so over time, we grow
> > an accumulation of cruft.  Even though there are no pointers to the
> > cruft from anywhere on our own Web site, there could easily be
> > pointers from external sites (such as search engines).

[snip]

> I found these duplicates via google.  Which means other people will
> be finding the old stuff too....

Grrr.  I was afraid of that.

So one thing we could do is for every rebuild, build and install a clean
copy of the Web site and then "as atomically as possible" switch from
the previous version to the new version.  This would be a little better
than the current "install over the top of the old version" that we do
now.

Another thing we could do is to make a housecleaning rebuild only once
per...day?  week?  I suspect this would work out a little better than
my first suggestion.

(But then what happens to the old links in Google?  Are people going to
get annoyed when the old links don't work anymore?)

It'd be nice if the internal links for our documentation pages didn't
change, but that would require some (large, I suspect) changes to the
DocBook toolchain.

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_1528697592P

--==_Exmh_1528697592P--