Date:      Mon, 23 Feb 2004 19:18:13 -0600
From:      Joe Koberg <joe@osoft.us>
To:        Sebastien Gioria <gioria@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        python@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Zope/plone

Sebastien Gioria wrote:

>Im' searching some links to best tune my FreeBSD systems
>for python/zope/plone optimization.
>
>The servers will do some shared hosting of zope server

Make python from ports and set WANT_HUGE_STACK_SIZE:

    /usr/ports/lang/python $ make WANT_HUGE_STACK_SIZE=yes ...

This sets a 1MB instead of 128KB stack size for threads in python.

Plone in particluar needs this to prevent core dumps, but I have
only seen it happen under python 2.1 and zope <=2.6. FreeBSD 4.6 - 4.8.

I say install zope/plone from plain source, not ports.

If you have an SMP system and are looking for production speed under load,
I hear you should run a ZEO storage server process and run a client Zope
instance
for each processor. Then load-balance incoming requests onto all those
with Apache or other magic. I don't know how sessions work with this setup.
It also reduces impact of the python global interpreter lock (only one
thread can
enter the python interpreter at a time). Running a ZEO server is
supposed to be
good for other reasons too. You better have a lot of memory though.

Joe Koberg
joe x osoft.us
Python, Zope, and Plone consultants
Little Rock AR