Date:      Tue, 6 Jul 1999 09:47:28 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        Mike Avery <mavery@mail.otherwhen.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: how to start to be a hacker?

On Tue, 6 Jul 1999, Mike Avery wrote:

> If there was an excellent train service, she'd have had just enough
> time to make it to Washington state, get a cup of coffee, get back
> on the train, and drink the coffee on the way back.

	This problem is not limited to f'er'ners. My family is from the
east coast, but we've lived in San Diego essentially all of my life. When
relatives come to visit for the first time they are constantly amazed that
we can drive around for hours and still be in the same state! Of course,
you can take Connecticut, Massachusets and Rhode Island, put them all in
San Diego County and rattle them around.

	They are further flabbergasted to learn that although you can
drive for hours and stay in California, in 17 minutes you can be in a
totally different country.

	On a totally mercenary note, I've always been interested in things
like history and geography, and way back when I was in college our school
used to host a lot of foreign students for various study programs. I got a
lot of dates with cute "foreign girls" based purely on the fact that I was
one of the few american guys that could carry on an intelligent
conversation with them about their home. Of course, I only used my powers
for good...

*chuckle*

Doug
--
On account of being a democracy and run by the people, we are the only
nation in the world that has to keep a government four years, no matter