Date:      10 Mar 2002 02:23:17 -0800
From:      swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        Kevin Stevens <kevin_stevens@pursued-with.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: man page bolding?

Kevin Stevens <kevin_stevens@pursued-with.net> writes:

> Any idea what is going on?

Redirect the man page output into a file and look at the content
with a good editor or "hd" and you'll see that a bold "a", for
example, is nothing more than "a", "backspace (ctrl-H)", "a" (it
used to make the print head hit twice at the same spot, of course).

Maybe your terminal emulators aren't getting even the simple stuff
right, but I'm guessing they're having some kind of font problem
unrelated to "man" or other sources of the terminal emulator input.
I doubt it's a FreeBSD man page that you need to read first.