Date:      Tue, 05 Mar 2002 22:27:00 +0100
From:      Paul Everlund <tdv94ped@cs.umu.se>
To:        Justin L Boss <jlboss@yahoo.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Port Colection

Justin L Boss wrote:

> Why do most people use the port collection instead of the package
> collection? I only use the PC if I cant find a pkg. The pkg takes
> considerable less time and space, So why use the port unless you
> have to.

In the ports collection you're able to set various configuration
options before compiling. That way you can "tweak" the code so the
binary is capable of and can do just the things you want it to, no
more and no less.

With a package someone else has done the configuration, and hence
you have to live with it if installing a package.

/Paul