Date:      Wed, 21 Jun 2000 09:31:32 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Webster <andrew@guardian.fortress.org>
To:        Jim Sander <jim@federation.addy.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Web tracking software

Hello,

Might I suggest that you take a look at webalizer
http://freshmeat.net/appindex/1998/01/11/884569634.html.

We use this tool with excellent results, and it looks nicer than analog
(the customers like this).

Anything is better than WT!

On Wed, 21 Jun 2000, Jim Sander wrote:

> > ** What suggestions do y'all have?  Horror stories?  Good products?
>
>    We run Analog (http://analog.cx/) with great success.
>
>    We *used* to run WebTrends on a dedicated NT box. Definitely a horror
> story- that one machine gave us more trouble than the 10 BSD servers
> it was analysing reports for. That's probably as much MS's fault though.
>
>    Still, after more than a year listening to their support staff tell me
> that I needed more memory and more processor (despite the fact that
> neither was being heavily used) I finally got in contact with a real
> programmer there who told me basically "Yeah, real-time analysis has some
> bugs- turn it off" which of course fixed the problem, while removing the
> greater part of the functionality I needed.
>
>    WT reports tend to track things that simply are not reliable
> (click-path and the infamous "user session" concepts) and does a
> questionable job at even that. Comparing a WT generated report to an
> analog report (or a grep -c on the raw log) yielded a lot of unexplainable
> differences. My personal advice is to avoid webtrends like the plague- it
> may work for some situations, but definitely not the one I'm in.
>
> -=Jim=-

Andrew Webster     INTERNET SOLUTIONS PROVIDER
President          http://www.pubnix.net
PubNIX Inc.        Access: PPP - SHELL - UUCP - VPN - ...
P.O. Box 147       Hosting: WWW - Email - DB - Your Servers  - ...
C.S.L. QC H4V 2Y3  tel: 514-990-5911 fax: 514-990-9443