Date:      Wed, 23 May 2001 22:04:00 +0100
From:      Mike Meredith <hmv@meredithm.fsnet.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Booting Problems

Hi

About a week ago, my very ancient P90-based system (running FreeBSD
4.3RC(something)) blew up with sufficient force to destroy the SCSI
controller (an NCR810). I replaced the SCSI controller with an old
Adaptec 2940, and tinkered with the BIOS to see if it could boot off
the system disk and it just hung at what I think is the boot0 stage.

After a bit of fiddling, I managed to get it to boot off a set of
floppies. I've re-built the kernel to support the new(!) SCSI
controller, and the system is running fine once I've got past the
booting stage.

Ive tried replacing the boot[012] stages with 'disklabel -B xxx' and
'boot0cfg -B', and there weren't any errors.

Has anyone got any ideas which might help ? Particularly the right
settings for the Adaptec BIOS and/or necessary commands that I've
missed ?