Date:      Tue, 27 Aug 2002 16:44:43 +0100
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
To:        jcukeng@mail.ru
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Re[2]: Administrivia: Discussion - Making this list subscriber-only

> I think this plan is not so good as it looks at first glance;
> especially for people who has more than one e-mails.
> For example, let us suppose that somebody read
> freebsd-security list both at home and at work but his or her
> corporate's security policies allow sending e-mails from within only
> via corporate mail server and disallows sending e-mail from non-local IPs.
> So, if this plan turns into reality, this subscriber will be forced
> subscribe 2 times.

Sure? If you are reading at home and at work then are you not already
subscribed twice anyway?

We can constuct all sorts of interesting "edge cases" where this
change (or any other change for that matter) will inconvenience
somebody. I am aming for a change that will make the list better
(on average) for the majority.

> Idea to check existense of 'reply-to' address is not so good, too.
> Everybody can set this to one of valid e-mail addresses
> (billgates@microsoft.com :)), and this address will differ from
> sender's one.

reply-to:'s are largely not relevant. "From:" is what gets checked.

> So, in my opinion, much better looks idea to keep blacklist of
> spammers IPs on, say, mx1.FreeBSD.org, and reject ALL letters from
> these IPs.  If spammer builds his rotten business on pestering people,
> it has no right ask this people for a help:)

Spam is not the big problem. Chatter is the big problem.  (Spam
databases are very poor at best - FreeBSD already uses a very large one)

o       Mark Murray
\_
O.\_    Warning: this .sig is umop ap!sdn