Date:      05 Dec 2002 09:38:35 -0600
From:      Kirk Strauser <kirk@strauser.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Anyone seen a fire server?

At 2002-12-05T04:13:45Z, Lord Raiden <dragoncrest@voyager.net> writes:

> The advantage being that you can both hot swap the drives,

Ummm, you can do that with many normal SCSI systems.  For example, I'm
currently working on an older IBM Netfinity server with hot-plug drives in
the front of the case.  Simply running the 'camcontrol rescan all' command
after adding/removing drives updates the available list as expected.

> and you can take them over to your neighborhood workstation or any server
> on the lan, plug them in, do what you need, unplug them and take them back
> over to this network drive hub and plug them back in all without
> rebooting.

I'm not sure that's a great idea.  Yes, it's great that you *can* hot-swap
drives, but I really don't think it's something you want to do on a
continual basis.  Out of curiosity, why would you *want* to pull drives from
the fileserver and put them in a different server/workstation?
--
Kirk Strauser
In Googlis non est, ergo non est.