Date:      Thu, 12 Aug 1999 20:37:56 +0930 (CST)
From:      Greg Lewis <glewis@ares.maths.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        Andrew MacIntyre <andymac@bullseye.apana.org.au>
Cc:        lyz@ems.guangzhou.gd.cn, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SMP and MEM

> > > 2. The other question is my compaq 3000 server down again and again when MEM
> > > increase to 1 G.
> > >    I have set the option in kernel like this:
> > >

> > > options         "MAXMEM=(1024*1024)"
> > >

> > > appreciate for your help.
> >
> > Right.  So you've compiled a kernel which insists that your machine has
> > 1G of physical RAM yet you state above that it has 512 M.  I'm guessing
> > this is a Bad Thing [TM].  You only need to specify MAXMEM if FreeBSD
> > isn't detecting the amount of RAM you have correctly.
>
> Compaqs are a PITA.  You have to do this to get any more than 16M usable.
> I did think that the startup code still checked how much memory actually
> existed (why is it called _MAX_MEM?).

I'm still not convinced specifying MAXMEM _incorrectly_ is a good thing :).
Certainly you sometimes need to specify the correct amount of memory if
your BIOS is fibbing and FreeBSD can't work it out.

> There has however been an extensive thread in the last day or two on a
> similar issue, with the observation that FreeBSD is known to work
> reliably on machines with 1G of real memory, but that considerable
> care/knowledge is required to find the right memory to actually get a
> reliable system with 1G.  There seem to be lots of electrical and memory
> spec gotchas for many motherboards that claim to support this much memory.

Yep, have been following this thread on freebsd-stable :).

--
Greg Lewis 				glewis@trc.adelaide.edu.au
Computing Officer			+61 8 8303 5083