Date:      Mon, 5 Jan 1998 00:59:52 +0300 (MSK)
From:      =?KOI8-R?B?4c7E0sXKIP7F0s7P1w==?= <ache@nagual.pp.ru>
To:        FreeBSD-current <current@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Joerg Wunsch <joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de>, steve@freebsd.org, Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Subject:   New patch: one thing to think about

Please note that new patch behave different in one essential place
(from new patch manpage):

	  In traditional patch, backups were enabled by  default.
	  This  behavior  is  now enabled with the -b or --backup
	  option.

	  Conversely, in POSIX patch,  backups  are  never  made,
	  even  when  there  is  a  mismatch.  In GNU patch, this
	  behavior is enabled  with  the  --no-backup-if-mismatch
	  option  or  by  setting the POSIXLY_CORRECT environment
	  variable.

To say it simple, no *.orig files created now unless you specify
-b option.

Bringing this fact to your attention I means, that either we can
accept new way of things, or assume -b by default simulating old variant.

--
Andrey A. Chernov
<ache@nietzsche.net>