Date:      Tue, 24 Apr 2007 22:24:27 -0300
From:      Alejandro Pulver <alepulver@FreeBSD.org>
To:        dirk.meyer@dinoex.sub.org (Dirk Meyer)
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Port needing security/py-m2crypto built with OpenSSL >=0.9.8

--Sig_xwRLGnRu7F2YNY41zm0=.Mx

On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 22:11:18 +0200
dirk.meyer@dinoex.sub.org (Dirk Meyer) wrote:

> Hallo Alejandro Pulver,
>=20
> > I am making ports for two bittorrent clients based on the ABC one. Both
> > needing py-m2crypto compiled with OpenSSL >=3D3D 0.9.8.
> >=20
> > In my FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE, for example, I have OpenSSL 0.9.7.x and the
> > py-m2crypto port now uses the one in the base system, so the ports
> > won't work.
> >=20
> > Apparently there are 2 ports which use it: net-im/cjc and
> > net-im/py-pyxmpp (by default, not considering optional dependencies).
> >=20
> > What would be the best solution? Make it always use the port?
>=20
> I liket to suggest you make a slave port of py-m2crypto which use the por=
t.
>=20
> Apps are in trouble when they are not linked against the same version.
> so each App should be linked with openssl he same way as its dependencies.
>=20
> kind regards Dirk
>=20

But there are only 2 ports (grep confirmed it, one is a dependency of
the other) which need it, also it gains more functionality with the new
version (these ports fail because they can't load a python module which
is only available when py-m2crypto uses the new OpenSSL version).

Shouldn't it be better just to make it use the OpenSSL port? Or at
least add a check for the version in the base system (maybe
bsd.openssl.mk should support this)? In most cases users will need the
new version after the addition of these ports.

Best Regards,
Ale