Date:      Fri, 26 Mar 1999 14:58:21 +1100 (EDT)
From:      Tian-Xiong Lu <tian@harpo.ma.adfa.edu.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        tian@harpo.ma.adfa.edu.au
Subject:   boot image can't find my network card

Hi,

I am trying to install FreeBSD on a PC of several years old,
which has a SMC EtherCard PLUS Elitte 16 (WD/8013EP) (1992).
I chose ftp as installation media.

However, when I booted from boot image disks after configured
kernel, I got a message as "ed0 not found".
(ed0 is network card dev shown in kernel config).
Consequently, when I tried to install FreeBSD through ftp,
I was given only the PLIP and dial-up options [SLIP(com1), PPP(com1),
SLIP(com2), PPP(com2)]. No direct network connetion was prompted.
Thus, ftp could not be performed.

FreeBSD docs says:
"SMC Elite 16 WD8013 Ethernet interface .... are supported"

Can anyone tell me what's wrong, and how to fix?

Tian

Tian-Xiong Lu
Programmer                                phone: (02)6268 8882
School of Mathematics & Statistics        Fax:   (02)6268 8886
ADFA, University College, UNSW            Email: t-lu@adfa.edu.au
Canberra, ACT 2600