Date:      Sun, 30 Nov 1997 22:43:09 -0800 (PST)
From:      Alex <garbanzo@hooked.net>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        "hackers@freebsd.org" <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Out of Box experience (Was: Re: How is selection made of what goes into CDrom?)

On Sun, 30 Nov 1997, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

[snip of reasons why X only systems would be as impossible as Win95]

Sadly, I would have loved to run X on my laptop, but it seems IBM
hadn't gotten the hang of making conformists out of its ThinkPads
when it was made.  However, I wasn't thinking ditch the cli, I was
thinking in addition to, as I (and I'm sure many other people) are still
wrestling to get X working consistantly.

> An alternative, of course, is to provide an installer which does one
> or the other based on some initial user dialog, but writing such a
> dual-headed installer is also *hard* if you only want to have to keep
> one central source code base updated every time you add something to a
> menu or change the ordering of the install (and that *is* the way you
> would want to do it, the option of maintaining two installers in
> parallel being a very painful one over the long term).  That requires
> a fairly abstract UI subsystem which is able to use arbitrary
> interface objects in dialoging with the user and can use any given set
> on the fly.  I haven't seen this holy grail of interface technology
> available for free yet, so don't hold your breath on that ever
> happening unless you become a really good C programmer sooner than
> expected. :-)

What about making some of the basic sysinstall (or whatver) functions into
a shared library, rpm and librpm come to mind.  That way a command line
based installer could add its own menu on top of that, and a GUI one could
add it's own thing on top of that.  Plus, it would have an advantage of
seperating the UI and "low-level" stuff somewhat, so that bugs in one,
wouldn't necesarily force a re-compilation of the other.

> I suspect that what will happen instead, given the time pressures
> currently on the "new installer" project (and its stunning lack of
> substantial progress so far), is that a reasonably decent CUI library
> like TurboVision will simply get used in place of the egregious
> libdialog, the X-heads continuing to run it inside an xterm and just
> coping with that fact. :-)

I never did much like TurboVision, although I still hope the nameless "new
installer" makes it into 3.0-release ;-)

- alex