Date:      Sun, 24 Feb 2008 22:00:22 +0100
From:      Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cpu usage in 7.0

--------------enig428267FAEEBB4BE0C2EDE6C0

Kris Kennaway wrote:
> Hugo Silva wrote:
>> Kris Kennaway wrote:
>>>
>>> 100% in FreeBSD means "all of your CPUs are completely active".  It=20
>>> is hard to exceed this amount :-)
>>
>> You should see my production mysql going over 458% on service startup,=
=20
>> on a quad core server :-)
>=20
> That is a multithreaded process using multiple CPUs, not the total CPU =

> statistics (first line of top(1)).

So how does a multithreaded process get 458% CPU on a quad-core machine? =

:) (Really, I want to know; I thought thread CPU accounting was fixed in =

7.x. Unless I'm mistaken, 4 CPU-intensive threads in a single process=20
should account as 4 CPU-intensive single-thread processes; i.e. each=20
could only take up to 100% of a core/CPU, accounting for NCPU*100% total)=
=2E