Date:      Wed, 4 Mar 1998 15:33:33 -0500
From:      Branson Matheson <Branson.Matheson@FergInc.com>
To:        Graphic Rezidew <rezidew@rezidew.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: users and passwords

On Wed, Mar 04, 1998 at 02:12:23PM -0600, Graphic Rezidew wrote:
> Is there any method by which I can force users to pick secure passwords
> when they execute 'passwd'? (eg. a wrapper that checks for bad passwords
> or a replacement for passwd....)

 You have two options that are secure.

  1> check out npasswd or passwd+, both compilable and should work
  under fbsd. ( I have played with both.. but I opted for the second
  suggestion which is ) :

  2> Add the cracklib stuff to your passwd program. This will do a
  crack like check on the password before allowing crypt to be run.
  It works well. Cracklib comes with Crack.

 If you do use cracklib.. I also highly suggest that still run crack
 fairly regularly.  One Sysadmin I know ( one of the co-authors of the
 System Admin Handbook ), takes the rulesets that crack finds
 passwords with and adds them to cracklib so that they cannot be used
 again.

 I would not suggest a wrapper.. it has the possiblity of be
 subverted. You should be able to find the links for the above
 software on www.ugu.com.

  - branson