Date:      Thu, 20 Aug 1998 17:35:28 -0700
From:      Josef Grosch <jgrosch@mooseriver.com>
To:        ben@rosengart.com, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: time

On Thu, Aug 20, 1998 at 05:21:48PM -0400, Snob Art Genre wrote:
> I am a bit bewildered by the following section in /etc/rc.conf:
>
> timed_enable="NO"               # Run the time daemon (or NO).
> timed_flags=""                  # Flags to timed (if enabled).
> ntpdate_enable="NO"             # Run the ntpdate to sync time (or NO).
> ntpdate_program="ntpdate"       # path to ntpdate, if you want a different one.
> ntpdate_flags=""                # Flags to ntpdate (if enabled).
> xntpd_enable="NO"               # Run xntpd Network Time Protocol (or NO).
> xntpd_program="xntpd"           # path to xntpd, if you want a different one.
> xntpd_flags="-p /var/run/xntpd.pid"     # Flags to xntpd (if enabled).
> tickadj_enable="NO"             # Run tickadj (or NO).
> tickadj_flags="-Aq"             # Flags to tickadj (if enabled).
>
> If I wish to use NTP to synchronize my system clock, and serve NTP so
> the other machine on my network can synch to that, which of these do I
> enable?  More generally, are these options mutually exclusive, or do
> they work together?  Also, does anyone know a good NTP source on the
> east coast of the U.S.?  Thanks in advance.

I have the following set up;

In /etc/rc.conf;

### Network Time Services options: ###
timed_enabled="NO"              # Run the time daemon (or NO).
timed_flags=""                  # Flags to timed (if enabled).
ntpdate_enable="NO"             # Run the ntpdate to sync time (or NO).
ntpdate_flags=""                # Flags to ntpdate (if enabled).
xntpd_enable="YES"              # Run xntpd Network Time Protocol (or NO).
xntpd_flags="-c /etc/ntp.conf"  # Flags to xntpd (if enabled).
tickadj_enable="YES"            # Run tickadj (or NO).
tickadj_flags="-Aq"             # Flags to tickadj (if enabled).

and /etc/ntp.conf
driftfile /etc/ntp.drift
server clepsydra.dec.com
server ns.scruz.net
server ntp-1.mcs.anl.gov
server ntp-1.cso.uiuc.edu
server ntp.ucsd.edu
server smart1.svi.org
peer ontario

Notice that most of these NTP servers are on the West Coast where I live
you should use your ISP's time server and maybe one or two close to
you. See http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/servers.htm for more info on
public NTP time servers. The last line is my other FreeBSD machine. Both my
machines point at each other as peers.

Josef

--
Josef Grosch           | Another day closer to a |    FreeBSD 2.2.7
jgrosch@MooseRiver.com |   Micro$oft free world  | UNIX for the masses