Date:      Wed, 21 Feb 2001 15:53:23 -0500
From:      "Matthew Emmerton" <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
To:        "Ralph Dratman" <ralph@maxsoft.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ata1-master: <MATSHITA cr-581/1c05> CDROM device - NO DRIVER!

> Ted,
>
> Thanks very much for your reply. In fact I did build a custom kernel
> with the following line in the configuration file:
>
>      device    matcd0  at isa? port 0x230
>
> but the device still isn't coming up.

Are you sure that you installed your custom kernel?

> Given the bootup error message
>
>      ata1-master: <MATSHITA cr-581/1c05> CDROM device - NO DRIVER!
>
> should I change the port address to 1c05?

The 1c05 is just the version number of your CD-ROM's firmware.

The standard ATA framework will detect any ATA device, but the 'NO DRIVER'
message is telling you that your kernel doesn't have support for that
device - which is why I'm wondering if you haven't installed your custom
kernel.

> Also, in the Lehey book, p. 361, the matcd0 configuration line is shown as
follows:
>     controller    matcd0 at isa? port 0x230 bio
>
> and I don't know what to think of "controller" versus "device" or the
> "bio" at the end.

"controller" and "bio" are old, deprecated options.  The line as you have it
(using "device") is correct.

--
Matt Emmerton