Date:      Wed, 16 May 2001 17:00:28 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Virtual Bob <hey9811@yahoo.com>
To:        Noah Dunker <ndunker@jccc.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD QUESTIONS general discussion <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, FreeBSD Install & Config discussion <freebsd-config@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: tricky syslogd

> is the syslogd being launched with the
> -r flag on the cenralized syslog host?
>
> if you just run syslog, it doesn't open
> a listener port.  you have to run "syslogd -r"
> if you want it to accept remote syslog
> messages.

I did wondering what that is since it was referenced in Cisco's manual,
but I didn't find such in man syslogd on 3.5S or 4.3S. I eventually found
it's availble on several version of Unix (and LInux).

Anyway, on both 3.5S and 4.3S, running syslogd -r just gives "illegal
option". I think on FreeBSD version of syslogd, "-r" is replaced by "-a"?

------------- clip here with virtual scissors --------------