Date:      Thu, 14 Jan 1999 16:19:24 -0500
From:      Michael Jaskowiak <skovian@interpath.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   bootable floppy

Hello,

	My name is Michael Jaskowiak and I have been using FreeBSD for about
two years.  I am trying to make a FreeBSD bootable disk (2.2.8) that
will allow me to mount a CD and untar files from it.  Before going
further, I will add that I have had no luck whatsoever with the PicoBSD
floppies of any version.  When I try to make them, I can never get them
to boot.  Anyway, the floppy that I am trying to build is the same one
that is in the handbook
(www.freebsd.org/handbook/handbook139.html#267).  The only things that I
have changed are the names of the devices.  I am using IDE stuff and not
SCSI.  The kernel compiles OK and I can get it to the floppy, I can type
in '-s' at the 'boot:' prompt, it probes the required devices, and then
it does nothing.  I don't get any kind of login prompt, nothing telling
me to hit enter for /bin/sh, or anything.  Nothing happens when I hit
enter or any of the other keys.  I have tried making this disk on
different computers that run 2.2.5, 2.2.7 and 2.2.8 with the same
results.  Is there something that is not on that page?  What could I be
doing wrong?  Thanks for your help.

Michael