Date:      Wed, 13 Dec 2000 22:41:48 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        Jimmy Thomson <glitch@execpc.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sound?

Jimmy Thomson wrote:

> How would I go about getting sound working on my freebsd box?  I have an
> Ensoniq AudioPCI 128 which works under linux just fine.  I didn't see
> anything about this card in the LINT file is why I ask.

Well, the method depends on the version of FreeBSD. On FreeBSD 4.x,
you only have to add "device pcm" to the kernel and rebuild and
install it. After you reboot, you cd /dev and do a ./MAKEDEV snd0. If
you are running 3.x, you will have to read "man pcm". I was in the
process of updating from 3.4 to 4.0 when I added my Ensoniq Es-1371
Sound Card. It is covered frequently in the archives and also on
http://bsdvault.net.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart