Date:      Thu, 3 Aug 2000 12:01:45 -0700
From:      "mike" <vipor_1@hotmail.FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   hello.... help plz

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01BFFD42.98777E20

hello

first thing is .. i am new to unix 8-) look out ...

will here it goes

i have install freebsd.. "lol that was it after 2 days of playing i got =
it"

install the way i like it..

now i would like to

connect my Win98 box's "3" that are on my lan

to the Internet via FreeBSD

note: the bsd box connection is this....

Ethernet connection

my connection to the internet is cable modem

@home

ps: if u have the time i can set up usr/password for u on my bsd box..

and u can use the

su command and get in to root....

and see what u can do..?

will be looking forward to your reply

i try to do this.. but i could not.. i need help..here this is what i =
use to set it up

http://www.freebsd.org/FAQ/networking.html#AEN3058

Q: Can I connect my Win95 box to the Internet via FreeBSD?

A: Typically, people who ask this question have two PC's at home, one =
with FreeBSD and one with Win95; the idea is to use the FreeBSD box to =
connect to the Internet and then be able to access the Internet from the =
Windows95 box through the FreeBSD box. This is really just a special =
case of the previous question.

.. and the answer is yes! In FreeBSD 3.x, user-mode ppp contains a -nat =
option. If you run ppp with the -nat, set gateway_enable to YES in =
/etc/rc.conf, and configure your Windows machine correctly, this should =
work fine.

More detailed information about setting this up can be found in the =
Pedantic PPP Primer by Steve Sims.

If you are using kernel-mode ppp, or have an Ethernet connection to the =
Internet, you will have to use natd. Please look at the natd section of =
this FAQ.

this is what i try to set up.. but i could not get it to work.....=20

8-(

Q: Does FreeBSD support NAT or Masquerading

A: If you have a local subnet (one or more local machines), but have =
been allocated only a single IP number from your Internet provider (or =
even if you receive a dynamic IP number), you may want to look at the =
natd program. Natd allows you to connect an entire subnet to the =
internet using only a single IP number.

The ppp program has similar functionality built in via the -nat switch. =
The alias library is used in both cases.

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?natd=20

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01BFFD42.98777E20

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>
<P>hello</P>
<P>first thing is .. i am new to unix 8-) look out ...</P>
<P>will here it goes</P>
<P>i have install freebsd.. "lol that was it after 2 days of playing i =
got=20
it"</P>
<P>install the way i like it..</P>
<P>now i would like to</P>
<P>connect my Win98 box's "3" that are on my lan</P>
<P>to the Internet via FreeBSD</P>
<P>note: the bsd box connection is this....</P>
<P>Ethernet connection</P>
<P>my connection to the internet is cable modem</P>
<P>@home</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>ps: if u have the time i can set up usr/password for u on my bsd =
box..</P>
<P>and u can use the</P>
<P>su command and get in to root....</P>
<P>and see what u can do..?</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>will be looking forward to your reply</P>
<P>i try to do this.. but i could not.. i need help..here this is what i =
use to=20
set it up</P>
<P>http://www.freebsd.org/FAQ/networking.html#AEN3058</P>;
<P>Q: Can I connect my Win95 box to the Internet via FreeBSD?</P>
<P>A: Typically, people who ask this question have two PC's at home, one =
with=20
FreeBSD and one with Win95; the idea is to use the FreeBSD box to =
connect to the=20
Internet and then be able to access the Internet from the Windows95 box =
through=20
the FreeBSD box. This is really just a special case of the previous=20
question.</P>
<P>... and the answer is yes! In FreeBSD 3.x, user-mode ppp contains a =
-nat=20
option. If you run ppp with the -nat, set gateway_enable to YES in =
/etc/rc.conf,=20
and configure your Windows machine correctly, this should work fine.</P>
<P>More detailed information about setting this up can be found in the =
Pedantic=20
PPP Primer by Steve Sims.</P>
<P>If you are using kernel-mode ppp, or have an Ethernet connection to =
the=20
Internet, you will have to use natd. Please look at the natd section of =
this=20
FAQ.</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>this is what i try to set up.. but i could not get it to work..... =
</P>
<P>8-(</P>
<P>Q: Does FreeBSD support NAT or Masquerading</P>
<P>A: If you have a local subnet (one or more local machines), but have =
been=20
allocated only a single IP number from your Internet provider (or even =
if you=20
receive a dynamic IP number), you may want to look at the natd program. =
Natd=20
allows you to connect an entire subnet to the internet using only a =
single IP=20
number.</P>
<P>The ppp program has similar functionality built in via the -nat =
switch. The=20
alias library is used in both cases.</P>
<P>http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?natd =
</P></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01BFFD42.98777E20--