Date:      Fri, 15 Dec 2000 21:19:30 +0100
From:      Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely5.cicely.de>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: mb and wmb in atomic_

On Fri, Dec 15, 2000 at 11:35:47AM -0800, John Baldwin wrote:

> On 15-Dec-00 Bernd Walter wrote:
> > Why are the mb and wmb operations needed in the atomic_ functions?
> > If I understood it correctly the locked operations are in synced
> > with others CPUs and there is no memory operation beside the variable
> > itself.
>
> They should probably only be used with the 'acq' and 'rel' variants.  Hmm, btw,
> it looks like I have the order of the barriers in the 'acq' and 'rel' variants
> wrong.  The barriers should be on the inside, not the outside.  Anyone disagree?

Depending on atomic(9) I agree.
I don't asume the acq variant realy needs one as the locked operation
should be finished at once at least out of the CPUs thus no post operation
has the chance to make anything before.
Do we have the situation anywhere that the bus reorders memory access?
Do we care about this?

ticso@cicely.de         Usergroup           info@cosmo-project.de