Date:      Sat, 5 Feb 2005 13:05:18 -0300
From:      Alejandro Pulver <alejandro@varnet.biz>
To:        Nikolas Britton <freebsd@nbritton.org>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Loading module for sound chip SiS 7102

On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 16:23:30 -0600
Nikolas Britton <freebsd@nbritton.org> wrote:

> Yea, find a better translation service... Put these in /boot/loader.conf:
> sound_load="YES"
> snd_driver_load="YES"
> hw.snd.maxautovchans=4

'sysctl' settings (like 'hw.snd.maxautovchans=4') should be put in '/etc/sysctl.conf', not in '/boot/loader.conf'. Check sysctl.conf(5).

I have the following in my '/etc/sysctl.conf':

hw.snd.pcm0.vchans=4
hw.snd.maxautovchans=4

The first line will work only if your card is detected at system boot (with entries in '/boot/loader.conf' or statically compiled into the kernel).

Also 'snd_driver' will automatically load the required module 'sound' (it is the same including it or not; personally I include both).

Best Regards,
Ale