Date:      Mon, 22 Jan 2001 00:47:08 -0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
Cc:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Donald J . Maddox" <dmaddox@sc.rr.com>, The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: lastest kernel from cvs ( sh exists with signal 8 )

Warner Losh wrote:
> In message <XFMail.010121233549.jhb@FreeBSD.org> John Baldwin writes:
> : 2) It hides the output from config(8).  config(8) prints out all sorts of
> : useful warnings when options are deprecated, etc., but buildkernel hides th
    ese
> : from the user.  The problem is that config(8) is by design an interactive t
    ool,
> : which buildkernel fails to take into account.  The hack now is to have
> : config(8) treat warnings as errors instead. :-/
>
> config is not an interactive tool, any more than the compiler is an
> interactive tool.

Config is *loaded* with places where it does not return an error code
if something is wrong.  This is a recipe for disaster by automating it so
that people can do a 'make buildkernel' and switch to a different vty/window
and never see that there were 30000 parse errors in their kernel config file.

That is the fundamental problem.  I've started converting the notices in
config(8) to fatal errors that I hope buildkernel will pick up, but it is
IMHO still wrong, especially for -current that is changing on a daily basis.

-stable is a different story, but this is outright deadly for -current.

Cheers,
-Peter