Date:      Mon, 25 Nov 2002 22:32:46 +1100 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        Marc Fonvieille <blackend@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Polled mode with device.hints

On Mon, 25 Nov 2002, Marc Fonvieille wrote:

[polled mode for sio0 and ppc0]

> But what about ppc0 ?  I have to remove the IRQ line as well?
> (sorry I can't test now)

I don't know exactly (I rarely use it).

> I also noted that lptcontrol(8) "does not" work under 4.X and 5.X.
> It seems that since lpt(4) use ppbus(4), it is not possible to use
> lptcontrol(8).  Well maybe that question does not fit with
> freebsd-current mailing list :)

"lptcontrol -i" and "lptcontrol -p" work for me under -current.  They
presumably work because the driver sets up the interrupt for every
write(2) if interrupts are enabled.  This used to cause panics because
a thread was created for every write and it was possible for threads
to be created faster than they could exit.  But everything except the
thread creation and destruction seems to be necessary because the
interrupt may be switched fairly dynamically between children of ppc0.
I think this means that no one should want to force polled mode at
the ppc0 level, and its children should have control programs like
lptcontrol that permit configuring it if necessary.

Bruce