Date:      Wed, 12 Sep 2001 11:19:04 -0400
From:      Jason Andresen <jandrese@mitre.org>
To:        bartscgr@studbox.uni-stuttgart.de
Cc:        Heiko Schaefer <hschaefer@fto.de>, multimedia@freebsd.org, Robert Edmonds <edmonds@robertedmonds.net>, xine-user <xine-user@lists.sourceforge.net>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [xine-user] xine on freebsd?

Guenter Bartsch wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Wed, 12 Sep 2001, Heiko Schaefer wrote:
>
> > > has anyone got xine to play DVDs on freebsd? videolan can play DVDs on
> > > freebsd.. but the playback sucks even on a 500 mhz machine.
> >
> > by now, xine runs pretty nicely on freebsd. however, unfortunately not
> > quite as well as on linux
>
> > i am currently trying to find reasons for this lack of performance on
> > freebsd compared to linux and am mostly stuck with the theory that agp
> > support is not really the same as on linux. maybe someone who knows more
> > about xfree, agp and freebsd will eventually comment on this or propose a
> > solution. any input on this would be welcome...
>
> even when using XvShm to display the video data xfree86 uses significantly
> more cpu power on freebsd than on linux (~15% on freebsd compared to ~1-3%
> on linux) which further indicates there's something wrong here.
>
> Comments, hints, ideas very welcome,

Are you using XFree 4.x?  What video cards are in both boxes?  Are they
the
same box just dual booting?  I've found that XFree 3.x is a processor
pig on
my system, but XFree 4.x is nice and light, particularly with Xv.

I'm using a Matrox G200 with the slightly older Matrox HAL.

Sometimes I wonder if Linux puts more of a buffer on DVDs than FreeBSD
does,
given the way that most of the linux DVD programs are written (read,
decode,
display, continue) they tend to IO starve themselves under FreeBSD.

--
  \  |_ _|__ __|_ \ __| Jason Andresen        jandrese@mitre.org
 |\/ |  |    |    / _|  Network and Distributed Systems Engineer