Date:      Thu, 5 Oct 2000 14:38:22 -0500
From:      "Charlie Schloemer" <charlie@infoworks.net>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Potts, Ross" <rpotts@harris.com>
Subject:   Re: setting up a lan

On 4 Oct 00, at 14:06, Potts, Ross wrote:

> I have set up my freebsd machine for ppp according the the Pedantic PPP Primer.
> The problem I have run into is this;

> when I set up the w95 client to got thru the FBSD server, there doesn't seem to
> be any traffic.  I can't even see the server.  I've checked the cards on both
> ends (FBSD has rl0 and w95 has a 3com509)and they are working.  Each machine can
> ping its own internal address.   They are directly connected with CAT 5 cable.
> Do I need to make a crossover cable before they can talk?  I've checked all
> addresses on the machines and they are correct, subnets too.  I can't even ping
> the IPs.  I know there is something I'm overlooking but I can't seem to ID it.
> Should I do a route add on the FBSD server?

If you can give us some specifics (IP addressing scheme, gateway
settings, etc.) that might allow us to help you better.  Some
common pitfalls to look out for, provided it's not a physical topology
problem, as someone else suggested:

1.  Make sure the subnet masks are the same on both machines.
In Windows, check this with WINIPCFG, on FreeBSD, check this
with ifconfig.

2.  Should the IP addresses be on the same network, according to
the subnet mask you're using?

3.  What does ifconfig -a report to you?  Is your interface listed?
Does dmesg report any kind of device timeout?  In Windows, does
Device Manager report any conflicts?

Hope this helps,
-charlie