Date:      Sun, 28 Sep 2008 14:01:53 +1000
From:      Fraser Tweedale <frase@frase.id.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   [OT] Apache SSL certificate authentication

--tKW2IUtsqtDRztdT

I've been trying to set up Apache to do certificate authentication
and although I've had success using a self-signed CA (which
naturally requires that the CA certificate be installed in the
browser), I want to do the same, only have the certificate(s) signed
by a real(*) CA, and am having some difficulty.

(*) Specifically, CACert, which still isn't a OOTB trusted CA in most
	software.

The way I expect this to work is:

- Create my CA key and a CSR, and have CACert sign it.
- Create a server key and CSR, and sign it with my CA
- Create a client certificate, signed by my CA.

So I end up with a certificate chain that goes:
	CACert -> my CA -> my server

But... this is not working.  Firefox won't verify the server (the
CACert root certificate .is. installed), and having bypassed this
check, Apache won't verify the client either.

The Apache configuration is as follows:

<VirtualHost *:443>
    ServerName foo.bar
    DocumentRoot /path/to/htdocs
    SSLEngine on
    SSLCipherSuite HIGH:MEDIUM
    SSLProtocol all -SSLv2
    SSLCertificateFile /sslpath/server.crt
    SSLCertificateKeyFile /sslpath/server.key
    SSLCACertificateFile /sslpath/my-ca.crt
    SSLVerifyClient require
    SSLVerifyDepth 1
</VirtualHost>