Date:      Thu, 16 Oct 1997 15:23:46 -0400
From:      "Troy Settle" <rewt@i-Plus.net>
To:        "Philippe SCHACK" <phschack@inba.fr>, "Wolfram Schneider" <wosch@cs.tu-berlin.de>
Cc:        <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: /etc/group limit

I solved this by not adding each user to the group file.

I have a group called 'dialup' (id: 10000) that almost every user is a
member of, but it's assigned through the passwd file only.

I was once told the reason for why FreeBSD defaults to adding each user to
his own group, but I fail to remember why.  Also, I fail to understand why a
user must be added to the group file if his group is already assigned in the
passwd file.

--
Troy Settle <st@i-Plus.net>
Network Administrator, iPlus Internet Services