Date:      Thu, 08 Mar 2007 10:30:49 +0000
From:      Alex Zbyslaw <xfb52@dial.pipex.com>
To:        peter@placidpublishing.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dependency Confusion

Peter Pluta wrote:

> I'm a bit confused with dependency's. When you have a stale
> dependency's what does this usually mean? Does that mean that the
> dependency was already updated and not noted in the pkgdb? Or does it
> mean the version in the pkgdb is wrong and that I have a newer or
> older version installed? Also, how do I correct it when running pkgdb
> -F I tried to enter the newer version of the dependency and it told me
> I need to pick from a list it gave me. :(

A stale dependency is when package A says that it depends on package B
but package B is not installed.  You *might* have a newer version and
this is what you have to tell pkgdb -F since it has got into a state
where it cannot know.

Please show the actual details since without them no-one will be able to
tell you the right answer.

--Alex