Date:      Tue, 15 Feb 2000 13:46:55 +1100
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
To:        obrien@NUXI.com
Cc:        "freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Alpha kernels

On 2000-Feb-15 08:27:47 +1100, David O'Brien <obrien@NUXI.com> wrote:
>Yes this is a RISC vs. CISC thing.

Though in my experience, i386 code tends to quite sparse for a CISC
architecture.  Intel propaganda notwithstanding, the lack of 16-bit
offsets seems to make real-world i386 code significantly larger than
say the M68K.

>  Plus the 64bit vs. 32bit ints also contributes some to
>the larger size.

My guess is that this is the major contributing factor.  I don't know
how much effort (if any) has been applied to removing padding from
kernel data structures when compiled with 64-bit longs/pointers.

In any case, the FreeBSD kernel is still small compared to Digital UNIX:
# size /vmunix
text    data    bss     dec     hex
4420416 747008  1201440 6368864 612e60

In the case of kernels, the size is also affected by the complexity of
things like interrupt handling, the MMU and device drivers.  The SRM
gives the Alpha an advantage here.

Peter