Date:      Sun, 13 May 2001 12:58:35 -0700
From:      Mike Heasley <mheasley@hmc.edu>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        mattapayne@yahoo.com
Subject:   Re: Slow connection speed FBSD->FBSD on same LAN?--Problem Solved!

Hi there -

I noticed that I had exactly the same problem and finally found a
fix (skip to the end if you're just interested in that).  But in
the process of discovering it, I saw a lot of weird behavior...

I have a pair of FreeBSD 4.3 boxes on my home network - old pentium
as a firewall, and my main desktop machine.  I got a pair of SMC
1211TX cards from Ebay and put them in the machines, both connected
to the internal network (the firewall has an old ISA card connected
to my DSL modem).  Didn't notice any real problems - they talk to
each other fine via ssh and downloading off the net over DSL goes
at normal speeds (the desktop has to go through the firewall, thus
accessing both cards).

I first noticed a problem when I got horribly slow speeds transferring
files from my Mac to the desktop using netatalk.  I figured it was
a problem with the Mac or netatalk, but was pulling my hair out
trying to isolate it.  The Mac also had no problems downloading
from the internet going through the firewall and its SMC card.

Then I tried a file transfer from the desktop to the firewall -
about 2.5 megs took over 12 minutes!  So clearly it wasn't just
the Mac or netatalk.  That's when I checked this list and found
this thread.  I put a cheap PCI NE2000 clone in the desktop and
suddenly transfers between that and the Mac were back to normal.
But there was another comment in this thread that perhaps the cards
weren't talking at the same speed as the hub, so I did a "man rl"
and found some options that could be set via ifconfig.  I changed
the appropriate line in /etc/rc.conf to read:

ifconfig_rl0="inet 192.168.1.8  netmask 255.255.255.0 media 10baseT/UTP"

(added the media... part) and viola!  Everything was back to normal.
So try that (or man rl for other options if your hub isn't 10baseT
and half duplex like mine).  I put the SMC back in the desktop so
both machines are running fine with them now.

The weird thing was that downloads over DSL worked the whole time,
so I didn't notice it right away.  I guess maybe the DSL goes slow
enough (mine maxes out around 90 kbytes/sec) that the problem didn't
come up?  Strange.

Anyway, I hope this helps, and thanks for this thread to point me
in the right direction!

	Mike