Date:      Wed, 05 Sep 2001 13:52:09 -0500
From:      Jon Loeliger <jdl@jdl.com>
To:        Francesco Casadei <fcasadei@inwind.it>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: No memory for rx list?

So, like Francesco Casadei was saying to me just the other day:

> from xl(4) manpage:
>
>      xl%d: no memory for rx list  The driver failed to allocate an mbuf for
>      the receiver ring.
>
>      xl%d: no memory for tx list  The driver failed to allocate an mbuf for
>      the transmitter ring when allocating a pad buffer or collapsing an mbuf
>      chain into a cluster.
>
> You're running low on mbufs. What does netstat -m show?
>
> 	Francesco Casadei

Yep, low mbufs. Good question.  It shows:

    www 1429 # netstat -m
    137/1248/4096 mbufs in use (current/peak/max):
	    131 mbufs allocated to data
	    6 mbufs allocated to packet headers
    129/1024/1024 mbuf clusters in use (current/peak/max)
    2360 Kbytes allocated to network (76% of mb_map in use)
    180 requests for memory denied
    0 requests for memory delayed
    0 calls to protocol drain routines

This is currently a semi-quiet network. Is most of that 76%
now dead space?

At least we're not freeing free mbufs!

jdl