Date:      Wed, 10 Nov 2004 10:11:47 +0900
From:      Rob <spamrefuse@yahoo.com>
To:        Andrew Smith <bsd-questions@andsmith.com>, FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Caching DNS Server?

Andrew Smith wrote:
> Ok I think I've got bind working correctly, in resolve.conf I've only
> put 127.0.0.1 as the nameserver and I'm able to ping stuff on the
> internet.  Is there anyway I can test to see if it's actually caching my
> requests?  Where is the cache stored?

The size of the cache you get like this, for example:
$ top -U bind -n | grep named | awk '{print $6}'
4228K

In /var/named/etc/namedb/named.conf I have following lines:

         # file created by 'rndc dumpdb'
         dump-file       "/var/dump/named_dump.db";

         # files created by 'rndc stats'
         statistics-file "/var/stats/named.stats";
         memstatistics-file "/var/stats/named.memstats";

You can create these files with rndc command, but the files are
not so easy to understand.

Rob.