Date:      Sun, 24 Nov 1996 23:06:30 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au (Bruce Evans)
Cc:        bde@zeta.org.au, current@freefall.freebsd.org, darrylo@sr.hp.com, jkh@time.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: 2.2-ALPHA install failure

> >> Bust surely it only installs on the drive(s) that you tell it to?
> >
> >NO!!!  It don't even ask you what drive to install on, really, this thing
> >is an assuming POS that things it has rights to everthing in your box.
>
> The problem seems to be that it writes its own MBR to hard drive.  It
> has to do that to boot to other drives.

It's smarter than that (or, err, actually stupider)... it insists on
installing to HD 0x80, but gladly claims all other disk space not
claimed in the MBR's of other drives.

> >If you had a chain of 7 scsi disks all with the bogus 50K block MBR
> >WIN95 would gladly fdisk the remaining disk space and DOS format it
> >for you....
>
> Not likely.  Formatting is too dangerous and takes too long to do
> routinely.  I guess it just "fixes" the partition tables and this is
> equivalent to zeroing all the partitions for most users.

I am getting tired of your obvious lack of knowledge with
respect to what Win95 does.  I am telling you for the forth time, IT
WILL FDISK AND DOS FORMAT ALL SPACE IN A SYSTEM THAT IS NOT CLAIMED BY
AN MBR and reported by the BIOS and/or found by the built in drivers!
There is no ``Not Likely'' to it.  I have had it happen to me,
and I have had clients have it happen to them, it is ugly, discusting
and _UNRECOVERABLE_ data loss since a DOS/WIN95 format command actually
writes every sector in the partition!!!

It leaves the 50K block space all alone, but since that didn't cover
what FreeBSD was really using your pretty much SOL once it has done
it's thing.

I just ran out to the shop and did a quick test with the Win95SR2 stuff,
they changed it slightly, now it tells you that it is ``testing'' the
disk area, then it fdisks and formatted it for me... glad I have scratch
disks around I can do this on...  And chalk one more FreeBSD disk eaten
up by Windows 95's and Big Bill's plan to take over the world :-) :-)

Accurate Automation, Inc.                   Reliable computers for FreeBSD