Date:      Thu, 5 Oct 2000 21:41:43 +0200
From:      Manuel Enrique Garcia Cuesta <megarcia@intercom.es>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        Manuel Enrique Garcia Cuesta <megarcia@intercom.es>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: OT: Keyboard feel (was: internet keyboards)

=== Mike Meyer escribia
(Wed, Oct 04, 2000 at 09:35:54PM -0500):

> Manuel Enrique Garcia Cuesta writes:
> > I was rather thinking of how dull and uncomfortable PC keyboards
> > "feel" nowadays, ...
>
> I thimk that's a cost thing. The current cheap technology for
> keyboards just results in mushy keyboards. They also tend not to deal
> with n-key rollover very well. I understand you can still get the
> older tech keyboars new, but the price has reason from the $100 range
> to over $200/keyboard.  Last time I bought a keyboard, I chose a
> Logitech Deluxe 104, and picked up a no-name clone for $3 as a
> spare. It's hard to justify $200 for keyboard under those conditions.

	I suppose it depends on what you use your keyboard for,
but I don't think I would shell that much out for a keyboard,
either. Pardon me while I rant on :)  , but the spree of
a-mouse-is-all-you-need mottoes seems to have damaged a
standard of quality that used to be much higher, even for
rubber dome keyboards. After all, who is going to manufacture
a decent keyboard for the (seemingly ) few people who really
use it ?  And, I suppose, those who do make them have to
charge accordingly so to make up for the lack of demand.

	While we are at it, would you oblige and educate me
with the meaning of "n-key rollover" ?

				Manuel Garcia