Date:      26 Nov 2003 11:17:42 -0500
From:      Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.ilk.org>
To:        a@jenisch.at
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DHCP-server - suggestions?

a@jenisch.at writes:

> I'm about to set up a DHCP-server. In the ports-coll I found these:
>
> Port:   isc-dhcp3-3.0.1.r12
> Info:   ISC Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol client and server code
>
> Port:   wide-dhcp-1.4.0.6_2
> Info:   Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol, WIDE Implementation
>
> Any suggestions / experience with them? (esp. as to
> features/reliability is concerned)

They're both pretty solid.  The differences in features are mostly not
relevant to small setups; if you have something particular you're
asking about, then let us know what it is -- otherwise, there's no
real basis for choosing between them on features.

I use the ISC server myself, just because the configuration is
slightly more familiar to me (the ISC client is in the FreeBSD base
system).  You're unlikely to go wrong either way...