Date:      Mon, 29 Sep 1997 08:44:59 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
To:        brunell@uwplatt.edu (Matt Brunell)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DHCP client

In a previous message, Matt Brunell said:
> Hello,
>   I am trying to configure the network on FreeBSD 2.2.2-RELEASE	but the
> network I'm on is a dhcp network.  Anyway, I've got my EtherExpress 16
> card recognized by the kernel, but even with the gateway and DNS servers
> named, I get the message 'network is unreachable'.  I _think_ I need a
> dhcp client package or a port.  I've read a bit a documentation and it
> says a bit about wide and isc dhcp servers that also support client
> stuff, but I'm confused about what exactly to do.  I've also seen people
> referring to bootp, but nobody says what bootp is exactly.  Help.
> Thanks in advance
> --Matt

1) Install the wide-dhcp from packages.

2) 2) Rebuild kernel to add the berkeley packet filter (if needed)
	options	bpfilter	4

Then there are a couple of different ways to get it started.

3a) Put dhcpc.sh in /usr/local/etc/rc.d:

#!/bin/sh

# Change to your interface
interface=ix0

killproc()
{
	pid=`ps -ax |egrep $1 |sed -e 's/^  *//' -e 's/ .*//'`
	[ "$pid" != "" ] && kill $pid
}

case "$1" in
'start')

	# Make sure the interface is configured
	ifconfig $interface >/dev/null

	# ensure that client exists
	if [ $? -eq 0 -f /usr/local/sbin/dhcpc ]; then

		# -d start in debug mode (seems to work better
		# -r update resolv.conf
		/usr/local/sbin/dhcpc -dr $interface
		echo -n ' dhcpc'
	fi
	;;

'stop')
	killproc dhcpc
	;;

*)
	echo "Usage: $0 start|stop"
	;;
esac

3b) Or use the rc.network method, buy putting your interface in rc.conf, blank:

network_interfaces="ix0 lo0"
ifconfig_lo0="inet 127.0.0.1"
ifconfig_ix0=

	and then create a start_if.ix0 file in /etc (Probably about the same
as the start portion of the above script).

3b is probably the better choice, since it brings up the interface much
sooner in the boot process.

Paul.

---
  All in the golden afternoon        While little hands make vain pretence
     Full leisurely we glide;           Our wanderings to guide.

  For both our oars, with little skill,
     By little arms are plied,                       --Lewis Caroll